One of my biggest fears is PUBLIC EMBARRASSMENT...
It's a pretty paralyzing fear. I take myself seriously often times and when I am talking about something I feel very knowledgeable in I leave myself open to scrutiny. The TRUTH is that people judge. That's what we do. There's no avoiding it. There's no way we can ever get people to stop doing it. It's a survival trait that all human beings have. If we couldn't make judgments about things we would suffer unnecessary pain ever day.
To avoid unnecessary pain daily we make judgments about things and people almost every minute of every day. This is what we face as leaders, as teachers, as coaches and as parents.
SELF DEVELOPMENT for me often tends to be gaining an "EARNED" knowledge of the things I am passionate about so I can always speak with certainty. I want to know FOR SURE that what I am teaching works... so I work it. I take every idea I am presented with (I don't care who it is that is teaching it) and take a hammer to it to see if it holds up for me. I NEED TO BE CERTAIN it works... not confident. This way when I speak in front of other people and even work with other people on stage I have a powerful posture. If I am only confident in what I am speaking about then it changes my posture. It's not good enough to be confident. Just like I am not confident that I have a left and right hand I am not confident that what I am talking about actually works.
THIS IS THE CHALLENGE I EXTEND OUT TO ANYONE WHO SPEAKS PUBLICLY.
AT THIS EVENT I SPOKE AT LAST WEEKEND I worked with a really awesome woman by the name of FAITH. I felt her power the moment I met her and I instantly connected. I sensed her bravery and asked her if she would mind working out one of her limiting beliefs in front of the audience.
SHE ROCKED IT!!! I am certain she is amazing and I am so grateful for her and her power. I hope I get to run into her again someday and connect again. Watch us both work very well together in the video below.
BE AWARE OF MY POSTURE. Do I look like I am confident OR certain? This posture CANNOT BE FAKED.
HOW TO CREATE THIS CERTAINTY POSTURE
1. Think of the biggest problem you have right now what is holding you back from what you want.
" I want to do _____________ but I can't because ____________ "
2. Research an idea, book, training, videos or ANYTHING that addresses your problem
3. Apply what you learn as soon as possible. IF you wait more than 48 hours you won't do it and that research time becomes wasted time.
4. TEACH IT immediately. To anyone you can. If you can't find someone then do it in a BLOG, VIDEO, PODCAST or anything.
5. BE OPEN to people's feedback. Listen with the intention of learning. Remember that feedback is just a response. It's not always TRUTH.
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS OR ASK QUESTIONS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW